[Coco] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:33:36 EDT 2005

No doubt, a rewrite can indeed be done that eliminates backward
compatibility.  But, if your purpose is to PRESERVE backward compatibility
<grin>, you are screwed as far as saving appreciable ROM space.  The problem is
the lack of documented vectors, and the consequent and understandable practice
of ML software writers to use undocumented addresses scattered all over the ROM
code.  And, of course, there exists no comprehensive list of such entry points.
Getting ADOS to be as compatible as it is involved plenty of tracking down of
reported software incompatibilities and correcting them one by one, even though
ADOS was written as patched ROM code with a view towards being as compatibile as
possible from the outset.

Art