[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 13:30:04 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 09:55 -0600, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
> That is why I see the board as a needful item-
> because once it is installed I will be able to use it,

Only because Boisy is writing firmware for it or adapting stuff that
already exists. There's no magic there, just hard work.

>  but with USB, the
> drive issues are endless,

Only insofar as the amount of hardware that becomes available is
"endless." That's a GOOD problem to have, not a bad one.

> unless we (all ) sit down and write a Unified
> Drive Standard like Microsoft did to get most stuff to work.

Nah. see microusb.org they already have the basic infrastructure for
drivers, a dev kit, etc. We wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Drivers aren't magic to a software engineer. They are actually the most
formally structure kind of software.

>  This will be
> the biggest obstical, because there are thousands of devices out there.

Linux has C language drivers for most classes of USB hardware. We can at
least borrow the concepts for each particular driver from there,
assuming the Atari/Apple/Commie folks from microusb.org haven't already
delved into getting a particular device to work.

-- John.