[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:55:00 EDT 2005

Rob, I see what you are saying,
But you are asumming that people can't find parts. My point is that if
people look, the parts are out there! Between e-bay, cloud9 and sites like
my online store, Parts, are not only avalible, they are fairly reasonably
priced. I got in april(for example) a CoCo 3, A DOUBLE disk drive with a
F502 floppy drive controller on e-bay for $60. (auction#  5171545228 ) .Now
this might seem high, but when yo take away the avrage price of a CoCo 3
($30) that leves you with $30 for both the floppy and the controller. Cloud
9 sells refurbished floppy drive (double sided) for $30 each, so If I wer to
buy this at cloud 9, I would have saved $30 plus still had the controller.
My point is the old parts are out there, and if you hunt you will find them.
no I also agree that an optical mouse would be nice for the CoCo, because
the "deluxe mouse" I use is big, heavy and sometimes not all that
responsive. The only program that i use that can use the mouse is deskmate.
now I know you will laugh at that, I am looking for multi-vue, but my point
was that there are not very many "GUI"s out there that take full advantage
of the mouse, BUT if we did HAVE A GREAT GUI for the OS9, I would certaibly
see a need for a USB mouse and would justify the cost on that alone.
You are mistaken (A bit) in the IDE controller that Clould 9 sells, It has
multi-purposes, not just for a hard drive. It also can be use for a CD Rom/
Burnner, and it has a compact flash card on it. Also there is (is you hunt)
IDE internal Zip Drives, and probably a ton of other devices that can be
hooked up. I myself am saving up for a complete hard drive solution for
Mark, an once the superboard hits, (although expensive) I will gladly plunk
$500 down to get the network card add on (projected cost). The Superboard is
a solution that doesnt need USB, it has everything that people have been
argue that USB will give then (PS2 keyboard/mouse, Parallel Port, On board
clock, 2 megs of Ram, IDE or scsi and compact flash. Will it be expensive?
Yes, but all the driver issues will be worked out and I will be able to use
it right away (hopefullY). That is why I see the board as a needful item-
because once it is installed I will be able to use it, but with USB, the
drive issues are endless, unless we (all ) sit down and write a Unified
Drive Standard like Microsoft did to get most stuff to work. This will be
the biggest obstical, because there are thousands of devices out there.
-Glen