[Coco] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Thu Sep 1 13:19:56 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 09:22 -0400, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Glen
>
> As you have mentioned that at least 5 1/4 floppy drives are becoming rare, so are
> the controller chips. With the advent of hot swappable flash card under multiple
> names, storage of data and transfer of data between two computers is easier and
> more compact.
>
> Floppies will eventually give way to flash cards. Data rentention period  is about the
> same.

I agree with that. Why try to get compatibility with 3.5" HD drives that
were a) never stock coco parts and b) are no longer going to be a good
sneakernet?

More exciting would be to get Coco-USB working, then see if we can make
it talk to one of these cheapie USB flash reader/writers (working units
under $15 typically).

Smaller sizes of flash memory are going for free-after-rebate these
days. But "smaller" in the pc marketplace is anything under 256M at the
moment! I think everything ever made for coco could be fit on one flash
card.

-- John.