[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 10:29:13 EDT 2005

>> And it does tend to have the best games, and the most advanced-looking
>> application programs (Color Max 3, Max 10, etc).  It's big advantage
>> is that you can take over the entire machine.

> Why take over the whole machine when that will prevent you from some
real
> advantages.

> Why reload (Color Max 3, Max 10, etc) when you can switch from one
program
> to another on OS-9 without having to reload the program and the data
for it.
> See my other posting on full screen editing for basic09. And you can
have
> more windows for other tasks.

The problem with sharing memory with a DECB clone under OS-9 is that
you are either limited to 64K for BASIC or you have memory management
issues.  The ability to place the tokenizer, editor and interpreter in
different banks of RAM gives more room for your program to use.  It
would be a more seemless edit/run/debug cycle with a program that took
over because you don't have to work around OS-9.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/CFFolB/TM