[Coco] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Thu Sep 1 10:28:22 EDT 2005

1. Art Flexser already improved DECB/SECB -- it's called ADOS. SECB was layered over ECB and DECB for two reasons -- backwards compatibility and the licensing agreement with Microsoft. I wouldn't worry about MS now because of size of market and age of code, but re-write to extensively and you'll give up compatibility with CC3 software as well as older. For some that won't be a problem, but for most it will.

2. The main problem with OS-9 burned into a CC3 ROM and booting from such is one of the main reasons OS_9 is so powerful -- it's flexibility. It should be possible to burn a "standard" OS-9 boot file into the ROM that would look for a standard set of devices. Say all the stock CoCo hardware along with a single sided drive as drive 0 (shouldn't matter if it's 35 or 40 tracks) and drive 1, and double sided drive 3 (40 track?). OS-9 users are already cringing, but what does the most common DECB user have? They may not have more powerful hardware, and to catch most you'd need to go with the lowest common denominator (LCD). There's a work around here too! Have the ROM look for a boot file on the drive first, then boot from that if present. If not present, boot from the LCD file in ROM. That still won't make OS-9 that much easier to use. A good front-end program similar to Chris Dekker's "CoCoTop" is needed also. It uses much less processing power than Multi-Vue. MV is good for more experienced users, a simple file manipulation/launch program is all a beginner needs. OS-9 programmers would have to concentrate on ease of use and simplicity instead of feature rich programs, something they aren't accustomed to! You can always tell when the design engineeer writes the user manual... only he understands a program (or hardware) really in depth, and makes assumptions that a new user has no idea of!! I've had software and hardware like that before, nothing turns someon off a new thing that not understanding the manual, and having a 2" thick manual to begin with! A basic, non-graphic or semi-graphic front end would be a big help. CoCoTop was the best I'd ever seen -- mostly text menus with pop-up text boxes (windows) for menus. Just some simple line graphics and text -- fast and easy!!

3. The ROM socket isn't that big an issue. Destructively remove the original by cutting the legs as close to the chip body as possible. If you're good at de-soldering, remove the legs. If not, solder a socket onto the legs. There's room in the case above the board. Just make a disk copy of the ROM first so it can be burned and returned if necessary. For those who can't sodler or doesn't know someone who will do the work, offer a send in service.

4. As far as burning the ROM -- sell the LCD/boot program AS a ROM!! Also send the disks with it so they can make their own boot to configure for their particular hardware. That can be done AFTER they have played with the LCD setup for a while. Send a replacement SECB ROM with it also. It should be safe to assume they have a CC3 and license to SECB since they are ordering the LCD OS-9 ROM -- have to have a CC3 to put it in! Rick Ulland had written a program to make creating a boot list/disk easier at one point -- right before NitrOS-9 became popular. It was part of the "tune-up" package he wrote. Man, the memories that are coming back!! Of course I would assume all this is being done using the 6809 version of NitrOS-9, not the Tandy version, and a 6309 version could be made as well.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent