[Coco] CUBIX on the CoCo?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Oct 29 18:37:40 EDT 2005

Portal-9 can handle includes with no issues. Actually some of the OS code could be
ported to Portal-9 as libraries and allow one to build a custom system.

What I see as the first major work in porting is the keyboard scan. Looks as if Cubix
is looking at a serial port and uses a serial mouse.

Unless one adds hardware to the Coco, the OS will have to work with the PIA chip
and generate the scan and poll routines to use the Coco keyboard. After that writing
a driver for the WD1773 controller is the next hurdle.

Portting the I/O range up to $FF00 is not that difficult. The Coco3 can have the 8K
ROM sit at $E000 with little difficulty as long as the upper 512 bytes do not contain
code. Ram then can be from $0000 to $BFFF.

That should get it to boot to a simple system. Being able to work with the full extent
of the memory map and working with the graphics of the basic roms would be a
nicity but not necessary at the beginning.

james