[Coco] CUBIX on the CoCo?

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Sat Oct 29 07:59:42 EDT 2005

>> BTW, the last release of CUBIX (with source code), as well as a complete
>> simulation of my original 6809 homebuilt portable for which it was
>> designed (which will let you run it) an be downloaded from my site:
>> http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html (Look for "Dunfield
>> 6809" under the HomeBuilts section)
>
>Have you ever considered immortalising your design in a HDL for an FPGA,
>using a soft 6809 core?

No, it wasn't a mainstream machine (there's only one exactly like it), and
I didn't think there would be much interest - who's going to build up a
chunk of hardware just to play with my design. A number of people have built
simpler (ie: Just the 6809, RAM, FDC and serial console) systems to run
CUBIX over the years, but none lately that I am aware of ... The simulator
allows you to get a pretty good feel for what the system is like without
having to invest any time in building it, and is probably as immortal as
it will ever get.

>I was interested to see if the floppy disk controller was similar to that
>used in the TRS-80 computers... not even close!!! :O

At the time I designed the system, I don't think I had even seen a CoCo disk
controller, in fact I may not even have had a CoCo yet. I am a huge 6809 fan,
but I never really got "into" the CoCo, so I don't think you will see any
substantial influence from the CoCo in the design. I used the 765 because I
had a spare one in my part box.

Btw, the system is documented in detail, complete with "inside and out" photos
on my site.

Regards,
Dave
--