[Coco] Ideas for a Graphics Project

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Oct 19 19:18:38 EDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 4:14 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 12:57 -0500, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>
>> I'm taking a 3D graphics programming class this semester and have to
>> give a presentation related to the subject matter.  Naturally, I
>> insist on bringing the CoCo into it somehow, so I've decided on a
>> topic that has been approved: a look at the evolution of 3D graphics
>> systems on home computers.
>>
>> In part of my presentation I want to run the CoCo 3 emulator under
>> MESS and try out a few 3D graphics programs, but the problem is I
>> don't remember what was out there in terms of 3D perspective games.
>> There was a 3D tank battle game of some kind that ran on the CoCo 2.
>> Does anyone remember what it was?  Rommel or some such?
>>
>> And were there any 3D graphics programs on the CoCo 3?  Sockmaster's
>> GLOOM comes to mind, but was there anything else?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Boisy
>>

> Not games, but I recall Coco 1 programs: a 3-D rotating space shuttle
> wireframe from either TCCM or TRS-80 Microcomputer News (both had a
> 3-d
> wireframe program but one was just a cube). There were instructions
> for
> making your own models. Let me know if you want this and cannot
> find it,
> I'll dig it up in the garage.

Yes!  I specifically recall seeing this program being run on a CoCo 1
at a friend's house back in the very early 1980s.  It was a wire
frame space shuttle that could be rotated, zoomed in, out etc.

If you do run across where it is, or better yet the source, please
let me know.  That would be directly applicable to what I need to
present.

Regards,
Boisy