[Coco] Has anyone in the coco list, managed convert DMK to DSK

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 15 12:43:57 EDT 2005

Within limits, you should be able to use MESS emulation and the MESS
tool wimgtool.exe to make the conversion. The limitations are that it
may not work with copy protected disks.

Assuming you can create a valid .dmk image that is an exact duplicate of
the real disk, mount both the .dmk image in MESS and a blank .dsk image
in MESS. Then use either Disk Basic backup or OS-9 backup to transfer
the data. If there are more than 35 tracks, adjustments may be
necessary. Protected disks may require a special Coco program to make
track by track copies.

You can go in the other direction by using wimgtool.exe to create a .dmk
image of the correct size. Mount both the .dsk/.os9 and .dmk images in
MESS and use a Coco program to backup the .dsk image to the .dmk image.

As a test, I took a 40 track NitrOS-9 distribution .dsk image and
transfered it to a .dmk image within MESS using OS-9 Backup.