[Color Computer] [Coco]Re: Transfer utilities

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Sun Oct 9 11:41:53 EDT 2005

Rumor has it that Glen VanDenBiggelaar may have mentioned these words:

>Robert,
>I would love to get a 3.5" drive, but my controllers wont suport it,

Which controller won't support what???

3.5" Double-density drives are electrically equivalent to 5.25"
Double-density drives; and 3.5" High/Quad Density drives will also work
fine as long as you 1) use double-density media, and 2) the drive itself
does not ignore the status of the High-Density hole.

I've used them interchangeably on my CoCos for years; I don't think I've
ever had anything but a 3.5" HD drive on my CoCo, and it's always worked
fine; you just need one of those card-edge to IDC connector adapter
thingys. [[ Yea, that's a technical term. ]]

Or, if you have access to an IDC crimper, you can add a 3.5" connector
thingy right to your existing cable. You can get them at Mouser, I have a
few kicking around the shop "just in case." ;-)

That was with FD-500 & FD502 controllers.

>  I am watching for a distro on e-bay, but then again, everone else is also.

Are you talking Linux, or do you mean "Disto?" Myself, I'd *much* rather
have an "Eliminator." ;-)

I also have a few unpopulated Disto Super Controller 2's yet... unforch, no
dox to fill 'em up; and 1773's are almost made of  unobtanium now. :-/

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????