[Color Computer] [Coco]Re: Transfer utilities

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 9 07:53:20 EDT 2005

Here are some ideas to try.

If you have an RS-232 cart for your Coco. You can use Hyperterminal on
the PC and OSterm (OS-9) and Ultimaterm (Disk Basic) to transfer files
between the Coco and PC. This requires a null modem cable.

A second hard drive could be put on the PC using FAT16/32 instead of
NTFS or the single hard drive could be partitioned. WinXP can use both
drive formats, can easily move around Coco image files, and then an
older Windows boot disk won't have hard drive access problems.

It might be possible to use a read/write CD or DVD drive as the file
source for the DOS boot floppy. I don't know if there are DOS programs
that can write to a CDROM but PORT (emulator file transfer program) can
read a CD.

Win98SE recovery disks use a RAM disk so that more support files can be
placed as compressed files on the floppy than can otherwise fit.
Probably both RETRIEVE and OS9 could work with a RAM drive as an
intermediate transfer step. Create a .dsk image on the RAM drive of a
real Coco disk, remove the boot floppy and transfer the .dsk image from
RAM to floppy, and finally transfer the .dsk file from floppy to hard
drive under WinXP.

There probably are other tricks that could be tried with WinXP but I
don't have it to make any tests.