[Coco] Formatting HD floppies w/ modified controller.

Paul T. Barton idezilla at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 11:08:13 EDT 2005

Boisy,

--- "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at boisypitre.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Paul T. Barton
> wrote:
>
> > Well, I have been trying to format any
> > 3.5 inch floppies as /D2 and as high-
> > density (let's say 1.31mb). Using rb1773,
> > etc. only let me get as far as 1 or two
> > tracks (watching the LED's) and then quitting
> > displaying "Unit Busy Error" or some such
> > thing. I could read older HD floppies
> > but not format a new one.
> >
> > I got an older hard-drive, off-loaded
> > CC3Disk (the patched one for 512 byte
> > sectors) matching device descriptors,
> > /D0, /D1 and /D2 (this one is HD). Also,
> > Clock, the older one (soft).
>
> Paul,
>
> We have been having issues with formatting
> floppies under
> NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2.  Some systems, like
> mine, exhibit no problems,
> while other systems crash or error out during
> the initial part of the
> format.
>
> Could you do this?  Could you only exchange
> CC3Disk and leave the
> clock intact?  This would point definitively to
> rb1773 being the
> issue.  Please report your findings.
>
> > Made another boot floppy using these
> > different drivers/descriptors and
> > VIOLA! I can now format HD floppies.
> >
> > Hmmm, is there a problem here?
> > [Running v325 NitrOS-9
> > [w/ CC3Disk and Clock]
> >
> > Paul - idezilla
> > idezilla- at -gmail-.-com, too.

Boisy,

I built another boot floppy with old
CC3Disk and current clock_soft+clock2.
Formats double-datarate just fine.
I get 1.31mb from a 3.5" floppy.
sct=20, sid=2,cyl=50 (hex of course).

[I changed the '.' to '*' to make]
[sure that it's booting from the floppy.]
[Cute trick to ID the boot source.]

I tried my standard boot where rb1773
(ident=$95F249) and clock_soft+clock2
are standard. When trying to format
HD (ie double-datarate) it gives
error #250, busy something.

I'm using format where ident=$AC701D.

Please holler back during hours here that
I can test more (if you want). When I
go home, I don't have this setup available
for testing.
Right now it's ~8:03 AM PDT.

Paul - idezilla