[Coco] Solar powered stuff

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Mon Oct 3 19:57:19 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Diggs" <kevdig at hypersurf.com>

> This thing has no other way to charge the battery so I believe it IS solar
> powered. Your specification is somewhat loose. It does not explicitly
> state that it must be solar powered while operating. Mark does not usually
> lower himself into the mud of these OT wars-of-words. But perhaps as an
> employee of a defense contractor he ... could comment on your
> specification.
>
> kevin

 I tend to agree with this. If we were to be precise, a coco is powered by
capacitors which are charged by household current.
 However, the original joke was about an Aggie that designed a solar powered
flashlight that WAS powered directly from sunlight. It would not work in the
dark.
 Reminds me of when I got a solar powered calculator(directly powered by
light). Someone asked how was I supposed to use it in the dark?
 DOH! Couldn't see the danged thing in the dark, so what's the point?
 I was just thinking that a solar powered coco could be cool. Of course,
using batteries to carry over during "Light Outs".
 I think it would take at least three or four 2a/12v solar panels to
maintain a good sized battery. I can't remember the formula for making the
solar power and batteries large enough to handle cloudy days and nighttime.
That was a long time ago when I was doing offshore work on two way radios
and telemetry( Ah, the good ol' Motorola days).

George