[Color Computer] [coco] OS-9, alphabetizing directories..

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 24 09:07:58 EST 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 08:01, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Gene,
>
>What is/was flaky about it????
>
>Mark

I don't recall the exact scenario at this late date Mark.  I do know
that on inspecting the directories it had sorted with ded, that there
was a lot of garbage left between the end of the filename with its msb
of the last char set, and the 3 byte fd sector address.  And, once in a
great while, this garbage apparently confused it into leaving a name
out of the newly sort list it re-wrote.   I re-wrote it to zero out that
stuff and never had another problem with it.

But before I did, I had had to run dcheck 2 or 3 times, and make a new
directory entry with ded to recover a missing file.  Thats what
prompted the re-write.  dsort, which used exactly the same method IIRC,
never suffered from that malady that I know of, so I don't know what the
difference that triggered the problem actually was, just that it was
apparently fixed with my extra housekeeping.  And having once gotten
into the habit of using gsort, I probably didn't use dsort very much, so
its
possible I never accumulated enough of the right kind of garbage to
trigger in dsort whatever did it to the original gsort.