[Coco] Using the Sound/Speech Cart

Dave Kelly daveekelly at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 19:03:55 EST 2005

This is an extract from the Linux Gazetter issue #120. It only a footnote
to a larger article. However, I thought some would be interested.

Footnotes
[1]

David Keil's TRS-80 emulator for DOS comes complete with a virtual
cassette device. Its manual page is a total hoot. "Because the virtual
cassette works exactly like a real cassette it takes the same amount of
time to CSAVE a file in the emulator as it does on a real TRS-80. So
now, not only can you run cassette based programs with the emulator you
can also experience the incredible speed of cassette based I/O." Tapes
are stored as *.CAS files. The emulator has a baud-rate control and
motor on/off switch. To provide a more realistic experience, the
emulator does not force these to correct values; instead it will happily
read gibberish if you set the baud rate wrong, or overwrite the next
program if you forget to turn the motor off. You can also connect a real
tape recorder to your sound card. And if you don't have a sound card,
don't worry. You can save the program to a WAV file, and load
WAV-programs created by regular sound utilities! I wonder what Barry
Manilow's "Copacabana" would do to a TRS-80?

The entire article can be read at:   http://linuxgazette.net/120/orr.html