[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 08:00:00 EST 2005

On 11/12/2005 07:50 am, Ward Griffiths wrote:
> On 11/12/2005 06:56 am, Dave Dunfield wrote:
> > So ... after you purchased and installed the 64k upgrade in your 32k
> > Coco, was it actually any different than before you started (ie: did the
> > upgrade include anything other than 64k RAM chips?)
>
> I don't know of anyone who ever paid for an upgrade from 32k to 64k.
> Anybody with a question, I told them to buy the copy of OS-9 they were
> upgrading to run and see if it booted.  Then come back and we'd sell them
> the 64k button for $2.  (They were like $.25 from National Parts).

Comment on the above -- I don't know of anybody with a piggy-back 32k upgrade
ever paying Radio Shack to upgrade a Coco in any way -- the piggy-back job
that they had to do themselves without the help of RS was more complex than
any of the official Coco upgrades.

The first 32k Coco I ever saw was right around the beginning of 1981, when I
was instructor at the Las Vegas RSCC.  Bill Vergona and our tech did the
upgrade during the tech's lunch break and he used the 32k button from a Mod 3
that had been upgraded to 48k.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Now she saw what that authority was capable of.  Worse, she saw peace
taken to its extreme.  And it was the most awful thing she'd ever seen.
                -- Inara at Miranda, from the "Serenity" novelization