[Coco] Rainbow cassettes

Kevin Zee psycho at dnsonline.net
Sun Nov 6 05:52:29 EST 2005

Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:

> Thanks, Bob,
> Pooyan worked just fine, along with "the King" but I have tried
> numorous times with Zaxxon and from 2 different sources- one an
> "official " copy from RS and another that was just on a tape with a
> whole bunch of other games. But I am going to get back to it tomorow.
> I also noticed "sailor man" has a "loader program" first on my tape, I
> bet this is going to take a while to transfer (ecpecialy when I am
> geting I/O errors, but thats half the fun.
> -Glen
>

>> I was able to transfer Zaxxon and Pooyan from RS tape to disk using
>> the pokes
>> listed. I did this on my 64K CoCo1 back around '85. I'm just saying
>> this so you
>> know it should work... I don't think there was any patching needed
>> for either.
>>
>> Bob

I remember this well... If you are good with assembler on the 6809 (I
used to be)... Make your own loader (look at the pdf files for inspiration).

First you have to load the zaxxon loader and dissasemble it. Find out
what it does and duplicate it and then write the result to disk so that
it will work. I used to break the disk copy protection on the coco but
then I moved to the PC and started breaking dongles. I would love to get
back into the coco but I have no coco hardware.

Any of them should be pretty simple to break. Look at the CLoad command
and just dup it for the loader. Save the loader to disk. See what it
does exactly and you will be able to do the same thing - though you may
have to patch the main program.

I remember a disk program that I liked - Dallas Quest. Took me a couple
of days to break that one. But the principle is the same.

Kevin