[Coco] [Color Computer] Video garbage on CoCo

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 2 17:22:42 EST 2005

Either a hardware or software failure but probably a "minor" one. The
Coco is still functional but incoherent. This is a typical result of the
CPU executing random code.

Open the Coco and look for anything abnormal: signs of overheating,
poorly socketed chips, exploded capacitors, etc. If you have a service
manual, there are troubleshooting procedures that can be used. Here is
an example or two from the Coco3 manual.

4) Random Character/Clear Screen/No Sign-on
Check RAS* (TP4), CAS (TP5)
Check pin 1 and pin 2 of IC15
Check pin 20 of IC2
Check IC16-19 (Dynamic RAM)
Check the items in 6.4 Processing Problem

6.4 Processing Problem
Check OSC Circuit (IC6)
Check TP2 and TP3 (ECLK and QCLK) (Waveform 7)
Check TP4 and TP5 (RAS* and CAS*)(Waveforms 8 & 9) pins 10 and 11
of IC6 (WE0*, WE1*)
Check Address decode circuit (IC9)
Check S0 - S2
Check pin 40 of IC5 (HSYNC*), pin 18 of IC5 (VSYNC*), and pins 37, 38
of IC5 (IRQ*)
Check pin 40 of IC1 (HALT*), pin 2 of IC1 (NMI*), and pin 4 of IC1
(FIRQ*) - these pins are normally high.

Testing is typically done with a multimeter or an oscilloscope that can
handle at least about 20MHz input. A service manual will have waveform
examples.

If the above is causing your eyes to glaze over :) , then toss the Coco
or find a friend that tinkers with electronics.