[Coco] replacing main rom

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri May 13 17:14:15 EDT 2005

I still don't see that as happening.  The character blinks on, then off.
Persistence causes it to lose very little luminance before it blinks on again.
The second "on" restores a bit of the lost luminance before the subsequent
"off".  So you get alternating tiny drops in luminance and tiny boosts that will
quickly reach an equilibrium that provides an apparently unwavering character
luminance.  This is just as you see when looking at an incandescent lightbulb
whose physical illumination is wavering at a 60 Hz rate due to the AC, and which
also has "persistence" due to the inability of the filament to cool down and
lessen its light output much in response to a drop in voltage before the voltage
rises again. There's nothing to provide the illusion of a slower blink rate due
simply to persistence.

Art