[Color Computer] [coco] Hard drive driver and dd for Nitro9

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Thu May 12 01:29:38 EDT 2005

I think that maybe my previous posts wern't read properly. So I'll try to simplify this a little..

> Keep in mind this is a working Coco. Floppies, HD, Com ports and a few
>other things.

 OS-9 L2 works fine on this computer. The hard drive works, the com ports work, the floppies work, the COMPUTER works!

 Nitros9 doesn't work with the original driver and descriptor designed for the Ken Ton interface.

 The two files merged (which I load after Nitros9 is finished booting) are  HDRIVE and /H0.  I said that in one of my previous posts.

 This method works on this same computer when I boot from an original OS-9L2 disk. I would think that if there was an electrical or mechanical problem, I might have trouble with the original software from Microware.
 However, I don't believe a hardware problem is software sensitive in this case. The problem is isolated to software.

> Can we assume that the hard drive works correctly with RGBDOS or HDBDOS?
>That would eliminate many possibilities for error from consideration.
>Are you confident that the hard drive has a correctly formatted OS-9
>section? Can you look at LSN0 for the OS-9 section under Disk Basic to
>confirm that an OS-9 section has been formatted?

Dunno.
 I only use OS-9 L2. The only thing I do with the built-in firmware is "DOS".

  Of course, on my NORMAL boot disk, OS-9 L2 from Microware, with patches, uses the hard drive as the /DD, but NOT in the driver and descriptor I use for boot disks that don't have the hard drive driver and descriptor in the bootfile, kuz I've been lazy and didn't make a new bootfile on those disks, I just set it up in the STARTUP file.

 WHEW!

 This works on OS-9 L2, but NOT on Nitros9.

 Same computer.

 Working computer.

 Been working for years.

I don't know how to make this more clear.

 It still works now with OS-9 L2, even tonight!!

 It still can't see the hard drive running Nitros9 6809.

..dmode results are identical except for the extra stuff in Nitros9/dmode

 OH!!

 The TOS and T0S is a bug in Nitros9/dmode.

 It displays a Zero between the T and the S. I explained that in a previous post also.
 It did cause me to type it that way which resulted in the change to NOT occur and it didn't report an error message.

 Interesting.

George