[Coco] replacing main rom

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed May 11 21:03:36 EDT 2005

William

The Coco 3 was the first of the Cocos to have attributes for the text
characters. Bit 7 of the attribute byte controls character blink at a
half second interval. Clearing and setting that bit controls the
character blink attribute as long as the COCO bit of INIT0 is
cleared. If set then the attributes are not functional.

The cursor blink is done in the basic rom as far as I can tell. Looking
through the unravelled series I have yet to see where the IEN and
FEN bits of INIT0 are set. That means in normal startup the Coco3
is useing the IRQs from the PIA chips.

It is my contention that the character blink attribute is either used by
other programs. I also do not believe that the timer is used, instead
there is another internal timer that is used to determine character
blink interval. This timer has as its input the vertical rate of 59.94
Hz. Count to 30 and you have about one half second. So the
character attiribute is flipped every 30 vertical frames.

james