[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] King's Quest for the Coco

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 9 23:30:34 EDT 2005

Keep in mind the differences between real and emulation systems. If a
program asks for the second side of a disk on a real Coco, then that
disk must be a flippy. You can't emulate a flippy because there is no
way to turn over an image.

What you need to do with such a program is produce two images from the
source disk. Image one will be the front side of the disk and image two
will be the back side of the disk. So, if the program has 5 disks and
each one is a flippy, then you will wind up with 10 .dsk/.os9 images for
emulation.

The above action is very different from a disk that is double sided but
not a flippy. In that case the program on a real Coco won't ask for the
second side because it expects a drive with two heads and the back side
will always be available. However, when you try to use such a disk on an
emulator you will again have problems. Once more the best solution will
be to make a separate image of each disk side.

Emulators will not have the above problems with 80 track OS-9 disks with
a single directory on the front side. The image just becomes larger but
is still one disk image.