[Coco] multi-sync monitor thing & DPMS ...

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Sat May 7 16:51:40 EDT 2005

kevdig at hypersurf.com writes:

<<  I am going to try one more time to get you to consider adding DPMS
 support to this thing.

    The 70+ watt power consumption of a monitor will drop to <10 when in
 standby. Given what is going on with energy prices I think it would be a
 crime if you don't at least look into it.

    If you have a communication channel between the tre and your gadget,
 implementing DPMS is easy:  you just block the appropriate sync pulses
 for the given mode:  on (none), standby (H or V), suspend (V or H), and
 off (both). A communication channel allows you to move the intelligence
 of when to switch modes to the OS-9 driver. Your gadget just does what
 it is told.

    The biggest drop in power for most monitors is from on to standby but
 there are some odd ball monitors out there (Nanao F2-17 for example has
 to be put into suspend - not compatible with MacOS at least for power
 savings).

                    kevin >>

     I have looked into this and it can easily  be done.    Everybody's
input will be considered.   I am saving all email on the subject.
I own monitors that have the standby mode and older ones that
dont so I will be able to try it on both.      I see no reason why
we cant include this function on the "gadget" .   The controller will
have 2kbytes of EEprom available.    Depending on how much
memory is left over after the necessary functions are implemented
it could be done.  Does anybody here see a reason we shouldn't?

Roy