[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Tech Question Forwarded from the Coco3.com Forums

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun May 1 11:11:38 EDT 2005

Mannequin* wrote:

>>I just dug my CoCo2 out of a box, to do some timing/behavior validation for
>>the Daggorath PC port. The machine still works, and my original Daggorath cart
>>still works (yay), but there's a LOT of noise in the video image on the TV I'm
>>using. I'm connecting using an old RF adapter originally shipped with the
>>Nintendo Entertainment System, and I seem to remember it working with this
>>adapter before.

His problem is most likely due to the fact that the NES switchbox is
most likely the electronic/automatic one and not one with a mechanical
switch.

The NES switchbox needs some DC power fed along the cable with the RF
signal to actually switch from the antenna input to the game input.
Without this DC power, all he's getting is likely radiated RF noise from
the cable itself.

I would go to Radio Shack (yes, they still have some uses!) and get a
piece of 75 ohm coax cable and an F to RCA adapter, and plug the CoCo
directly into the antenna input of the TV. (or alternately use a coax
a-b antenna switch) for best results.

Those RF cables that came with the CoCos suck. Also since they tended to
get lost a lot of people have been using audio cables which really
aren't intended for that purpose. The piece of antenna coax is probably
the best way to go.

-Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links