[Coco] Memory paging on the coco3

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Tue May 17 16:27:53 EDT 2005

In an attempt to find some documentation on how the memory
paging on my coco3 works I did a lot of googling and finally
posted the question on one of the forums on the coco3 site.

I did get pointed to a site that does a rather complete job
of describing the gime chip and how the paging works. It all
looked good until I got to the bottom of the memory mapping
chart and read how the memory is map as 8K pages. According
to the page on a coco3 with 512K of ram the pages used are
numbered from 0-63 which multiplies out to 512K. Then there's
mention that on a "stock" 128K coco3 pages 56-63 are used.
Another check with the calculator and I find that works out
to 64K of ram. I always thought that my Coco3 had 128K of ram.

Exactly how much ram does my coco3 have and what are the memory
pages used to access it? Of course now I'm thinking that the
best solution would be to upgrade the memory to 512K and not
worry about it anymore.

Frank