[Color Computer] [coco] Abandonware..

George Ramsower yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Wed May 11 02:31:03 EDT 2005

 We are talking now of ONLY COCO SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE.  NOT about other
computers/cars/trains/boats/microsoft/apple/commodore/space ships/submarines
..
etc.

 I personally think that if the owner of the software/hardware(if they exist
now) no longer sells, supports or even mentions it today, it's abandoned.

 If I give away (non-profit)copies of this stuff then by all means, bring on
the charges against me. I'm confident that there isn't a jury in this
country that would convict me of any wrongdoing in giving away this thirty
year old, TRS Color Computer software.

 I also strongly believe,  there isn't a prosecutor in this country that
would even touch this specific issue of the Color Computer.

 I can afford to take off a few days a year to fight this personally, should
some local, moron prosecutor decided  to pursue something like this.

 Where there's no personal or business injury or property damage and no
person or business suffers one tiny bit, we can safely say that there is no
justification for recovery.

  If someone would try to sue the Coco community for this, I would suggest
each of us who have a copy of the suspect software will donate five smackers
to the owner/author and he/she (claimant) would shut up.

 It ain't worth it to go to court for a few dollars.

 Think on that.

 New software/hardware being sold for the Coco is a different issue. The
author/company that is currently selling and supporting software and/or
hardware for the Coco has every legal and moral right to beat someone up for
reselling, copying and selling or giving away copies of the original
software. I'll personally condemn people who do this.
 If I were on a jury, I would feel the same way.

 Do you want a copy of old, dead, non-supported, forgotten, no longer sold
software for a coco? I'll give you one...... if I have it.

 That's how strongly I feel on this subject...

 George Ramsower

 pHs. you can put my name in Google, Yahoo and a boat load of other search
engines and find me on the top of darned near every one.

" Balls to the wall and off we go!"

Yahoo! Groups Links