[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] DSK images to coco

George Ramsower yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Mon May 2 01:36:01 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Gault" <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
> This stock Copy command won't work this way. Any attempt to Copy
> filename /d1@  , for example, gives a 218 error; file already exists.
<snip>
> It looks as though a special version of Copy will be needed or some
> other program which will know how to write to /d1 at .

  I didn't even try that. I knew it wouldn't work. So I took an old HD from
a broken W95 box, put it in my other doze box and built the darned disk from
that machine.

 The disk  I created was for the 6309 and it crashed that Coco, so my
question of whether or not that Hitachi might be a 6309 is answered. So I
got a copy of nos96809l2v030205_80d.dsk , used "SneakerNet"(haven't used
that in a long time) to move it to the other computer(W95), used dskini.exe
to build a boot disk and the new boot disk worked on my CC3, but if I put a
stock OS-9 disk in it after booting the new disk, I get error 249 when
trying to access it. Both systems (Nitro and non Nitro)are using 80 track
3.5 disks.

 Any suggestions?

 Also....

> As an aside, it took 10 minutes to transfer the current
> nitros9v030205_80d to a Coco hard drive using HyperTerminal, OSTerm, and
> nul modem connection through an RS-232 pak at 19200 baud. This is not
> trivial and requires some care.

  That's only about 800 baud.

 I haven't tried a null modem cable. I use TX, RX, RTS, CTS, DTR and DSR.

 When I connect to my coco using HyperTerminal, I use Shell on the coco.
i.e.: Shell i=/t1&

 HyperTerminal is now just another terminal on OS-9 L2.  Using a COMM
program on the coco requires too much foot work for me. This Intel box and
the Coco are not in the same part of the house. Hence, use Shell on the
coco!

 It's cool !

 Using OS-9 L2, I can run basic09 from .ht and as long as I don't use
graphics, it's just like sitting in front of the Coco, but with a better
keyboard.

Then, to transfer files I use uloady and dloady(from "OS-9 L2 BBS"). With
stock OS-L2, I can get a reliable 4800 baud transfer. If I use 9600 baud,
the errors start showing up, but it's still a little bit faster. At 9600,
the errors are frequent enough to cause it to average out about the same as
4800b. I don't even try 19.2 now.
 I  have had better luck using modems between the machines. I've done that
in the past and it seems the buffering in the modems helps the coco quite a
bit..

 Right now, I can't talk to my coco. I think /T1 is broken.  I'm going to
try /t2 as soon as I am done with this post. Oftentimes I
lose a line driver/receiver on the coco, either a 1488 or a 1489.
 I think sometimes I get ground loop problems messing with it between this
Intel box and the coco. Fortunately, I've got more 1488 and 1489 chips than
Florida has bugs.<grin>

 In case you're wondering, that Coco is re-packed in an HP case, 512K
running mostly stock os-9 L2 with Shell+ 2.2. , SCSI 30 meg hard disk, 3.5
and 5.25 floppy drives, three com ports, all on a Y cable and uses the PC
power supply. I used a wire wrapped resistor to load the power supply's 12v
line to control the load, as the coco didn't draw enough power. The resistor
runs HOT, but everything else is nice and cool.

George

Yahoo! Groups Links