[Coco] Software media

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 18:06:43 EST 2005

--- billg <cwgordon at charter.net> wrote:
> I found several (audio) cassette tapes here at the house, but I don't know
> if it's the tape or the recorder, but there is a problem of saving and
> recovering files.  I was already aware of the leader situation, so I always
> wound the leader past so as not to try to record over it.  Could be the
> recorder, could be the tapes.  But of 4 tapes I've found, I've not been
> successful with any.

After CSAVEing, listen to the tape. Does it sound crisp and high pitched or
kind of "muddy"? May be a bad tape, may be head alignment or cleaning, may be
volume/tone controls, may be a bad cable... It's recommended to use as short a
tape as possible, as supposedly they are less susceptible to speed variations,
can't say for sure.

As far as disks go, I always recommend replacing the second drive with a 3.5"
drive. Modern 1.4Meg drives are fine, and 720K 3.5" floppies can still be
purchased new.

Bob