[Coco] Netscoco Beta 1

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 14:55:22 EST 2005

--- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Looks promising so far. A few minor bugs when a line is centered such a
> the period in line 3 which moves to line 4 even though there is room on 3.
>
> Have you thought about using the Coco3 font routines rather than drawing
> characters? If you could find room in memory for your fonts and patch
> the ROM routines to use them or write your own ml routine for this, I'd
> expect your program to speed up by at least an order of magnitude.

It does look good Diego, nice work! Like Robert, I think for most regular text
(normal, bold, italics, underlined) you could LOADM a font and use HPRINT for a
*major* speedup. My Color FOG disk contains fonts that would work for all but
underlined text. Increased and decreased font sizes would still need to be
drawn without modifying the ROM.

You still have to trim your own lines though, as anything over 40 or 80 chars
will be cut off. I'd generate a complete line at a time, and then HPRINT it
rather than printing each word or character. This gives a greater speedup than
you might expect.

Keep up the good work!

Bob Emery