[Coco] OT old macs ...

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Tue Mar 29 10:42:41 EST 2005

Kevin Diggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     My other 8600 has a Powerlogix 750 at 500 card but this one is stock.
> Maybe it's jealous? The external bus is empty except for the tape drive.
> The internal bus has 3 scsi disks that are set to await start unit. So
> the poor thing is having difficulty finding something to boot.
>
>                     kevin
>
> Mannequin* wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:08:58 -0800
>>
>> Has the thing been upgraded at all? Processor card upgrade or anything
>> like
>> that? Back when I worked at an all Mac store, those upgrades caused more
>> problems than anything. Uh, aside from that, I'd almost have to see it.
>>
>> -M.

What are you running for OS? If you are trying to run 10.X with Xfacto
then as of 3.0 the external Scsi port had timing issues.  Only "Fast
Scsi" port worked reliable for HD and CD-ROM.  3.1 supposed to fix this,
just downloaded 3.1a3, to see if my other scsi ports work.

I know it might be a pain, but if you could hook it up (temporary) to
the same bus as the HD, That may help figure out the problem.

Hope this helps.  I've never actually hooked up a Tape drive to my Mac.
  I think that my Tape drive will not drop down to scsi-1, needs to be
Scsi-2 as documented on the drive.  It works on my Linux box.   Maybe if
you really want a tape drive on that 8600, you can put Linux on it? just
a random thought.

~David Hazelton