[Coco] OT old macs ...

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Mon Mar 28 20:06:49 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:05:22 -0800
Kevin Diggs <kevdig at hypersurf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	My other 8600 has a Powerlogix 750 at 500 card but this one is stock.
> Maybe it's jealous? The external bus is empty except for the tape drive.
> The internal bus has 3 scsi disks that are set to await start unit. So
> the poor thing is having difficulty finding something to boot.
>
> 					kevin

Well, if it's freezing up without changing to a sad mac or something like that,
that says that it isn't a problem with finding a system. (Because normally if it
doesn't find a system, it lets you know.) It's normally a hardware issue.

Something I forgot about, being in the PC world for too long now, is what
Stephen Castello brought up in another reply to you. That is the issue of SCSI
termination and device settings. If you already haven't, you should check the ID
of each of your SCSI devices, and make sure the chain is properly terminated.

Now, if you get past the happy mac, and it's loading something in the system,
that's another issue altogether. (But, you've already said that it isn't the
OS.)

HTH,
-M.