[Coco] Been 'CoCoing' how long? (was Re: The typical CoCo user is aged...?!?)

Bruce Boaz BWBoaz at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 15:04:16 EST 2005

Torsten Dittel <Torsten at ...> writes:

> > It looks like the Y axis labels are ages but if so, what do the bar
> > heights mean. Are there more age 70 users than all younger ages?
> > Without any assumptions, the Y axis would be a count with an unlabeled
> > and unguessable X axis.
>
> Actually every bar represents a CoCo user, the heigth of the bar his
> age. They are sorted from left to right, starting with the youngest
> user, ending with the oldest
>
> Since almost every age is kind of unique so far (besides a small gaggle
> of 34-agers like me ) it's quite difficult to come up with a
> distribution: if I make the X axis guessable and label it "Age" from 0
> to 70 and the Y axis (or the heigth of the bars) would represent the
> number of candidates, you would see a nice binary noise (between 0 and
> 1) and a humble peak at age 34...
>
> So I'm just waiting for the next 10,000 ages coming in to spill out
> something more demonstrative ))))))

Torsten,

How about comparing the age of the CoCo user with the number of years that we
have been 'CoCoing'?  I wonder how that would look?  Or even the age that we
started?

I started somewhere around November of 1983 (age 23 then), with a CoCo2 and
cassette, and have been 'playing with' the CoCo in its various incarnations
(CoCo3, Disk drive(s), 512k, ADOS, etc.) ever since.  That would put me at
over 21 (going on 22) years of CoCo use, and I'm 44 (I'll hit 45 in just four-
and-a-half months).  That's nearly half of my life with the CoCo.  I've had a
CoCo almost as long as I've been married! (I think my wife is still a little
jealous about CoCo and me ... ;))

Have fun with the statistics!

Bruce B.