[Coco] 2 questions:: DECB and Nitros09 questions

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 10:39:46 EST 2005

> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>This may sound strange, but.. is there a way to boot Disk Extended Color
> >>Basic or some other Basic-based OS from a floppy? My floppy controller
> >>has a non-standard version of ADOS on-board, and I think it's behind
> >>troubles I'm having with some software..
  <...snip...>
> I tried the DISABLE command, but Color FOG still crashes out on install
> with 'error 1 in line #6', so no luck there!

Interesting... I suspected that Color FOG would have problems in ADOS. I'm sure
it's possible to make it compatible, just need some guinea pigs! ;-)

First, Error 1 is a Syntax error. Looking at my code, line 6 is:

6 POKE&HADEB,57:FILES 3:CLEAR1000:ONERR
GOTO980:WIDTH40:CLS5:PALETTE8,11:DIMP(2,15),R(7,10),D$(16),F$(2,5):R$=CHR$(13):Z$="success"+R$:GOTO10

My guess would be FILES or ONERR GOTO... Art? Also, Color FOG uses a lot of
POKES to manipulate the drive lookup table, patch some ROM routines and share
"global variables" between modules. Many of these may not be needed or even
valid under ADOS.

The non HD version of FOG also uses Alan DeKok's Custom CoCo Basic, which is
incompatible with HDBDOS and probably ADOS. ADOS compatibility will be achieved
with a hybrid of the two versions I already have... basically the stock RSDOS
version with some of the HDBDOS workarounds I have already developed, and
possibly some features removed.

I am very interested in making an ADOS compatible version, but I'll need some
help from ADOS users and hopefully Art can chime in with technical feedback.

cheers,
Bob Emery