[Coco] 2 questions:: DECB and Nitros09 questions

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Mar 27 15:34:26 EST 2005

David

If you are using a Coco3 and  have the original Coco3 rom still
installed on the main board, then returning to Disk Extended Color
Basic (DECB) is simply done by removing the ROM is the disk
controller card and placing the DECB1.1 rom in.

There are so mods that will allow both to reside in the controller but
some means of  physically switching the two is needed. To ch ange
between them the Coco3 must undergo a power on reset or cold
start to properly switch between them.

To boot and/or load from disk is a bit a rewrite of the DECB. Even
though it could stand a rewrite. It would be nice to have a small boot
code that powers  up the machine and acts as a bios. Then loads
the basic in from either ROM or Disk depending if the disk is
present. On a cold start or power on restart, the color basic checks
to see if the Extended color basic rom is installed. Then checks to
see if the DECB rom is installed. This is a hold over fromteh Coco 1
days. This allows adding roms without rewrites of the previous
roms. All three are copied into ram and patched and executed from
ram on the Coco3.

james