[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Can coco3 play mp3?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 14:58:46 EST 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 11:35, Ben Jimenez wrote:
>so is the coco music similar to midi?
>
>Ben

Depends on how you are doing it Ben.  I have actually driven 2
seperate midi keyboards at the same time using Umuse3 a few times,
and thats pretty decent if the voices in the keyboard are good.

I had one keyboard plugged into the seriel port on the back, and one
plugged into a hacked for midi speeds rs-232 pack and was feeding one
set of voices to one keyboard, and the other to the second one.  And
I was not able to discern any rythm failures due to the contentions
that could have generated.  It played exactly what I had 'moused'
into it.

The fact that I was able to do that even surprised Mike K. at the
time.

While the coco's musical abilities in synthesizeing audio with its 6
bit resolution audio d-a are limited, you are not so seriously
limited by your midi devices, many of which can do 12 to 16 bit
stuff.  However, both of my keyboards are cheapo's without velocity
support, and limited polyphony, a serious shortcoming in the realism
dept. that 2 keyboards helped only slightly with.

But it was an interesting experiment at the time, and other than the
hardware details, I've no idea how I did it today, that was probably
15 years ago, with an MT-240 on one side and a Casio CZ-101 on the
other.   Much data has flowed through this wet ram since, not all of
it finding a home. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)