[Coco] bit.listserv VS. these moderated lists

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:49:17 EST 2005

OK. I am willing to tackle this problem, as I have been dying to
contribute to the community but do not have the CoCo expertise. I do,
have a bit of expertise elsewhere that is perfect for this project.
However, due to Real Life (tm), everyone will need to be a little
patient with me while I work on the project, because it will get done
:) Before I start, does anyone have any other suggestions to add, or
any objections to me starting this project?

Also, Boisy, if you've rejoined the group, I apologize for you getting
this twice. Just wanted to let you know that at least some of us are
willing to attempt to accomodate everyone.

Rod

> We have a membership 300-400 on all three interconnected groups, more with
> Gmane. If we can pick up those newcomers (or oldcomers) via
> bit.listserv.coco, so much the better.
>
> Here is what has been successful:
> 1. No spam
> 2. Complete interconnect among Yahoo, Gmane, and maltedmedia
> 3. No duplicates by default
> 4. Obfuscated email at Gmane, but answerable via Gmane's servers
>
> Everyone please note that the above has not been without some cost of labor
> and technology. Yahoo has spam filtering, as does Gmane, and I have to
> attend to quite a few spam messages every day that bounce to the
> administrator address. All the moderators have to give things attention,
> including requests for new memberships (each of which requires research).
>
> If you can assure the 'good part' will continue, I'd guess your suggestion
> is welcome news for everyone. Until John Malmberg can resurrect the
> Princeton management to reconnect their mailing list gateway, here's what I
> would suggest:
>
> 1. Get messages from Gmane for redistribution (they have an RSS feed if
> that helps). Because Gmane already creates an obfuscated but answerable
> (and spam-filtered) email address, it can be safely redistributed to
> bit.listserv.coco
> 2. Make your system a subscriber to just one of the other options (Yahoo,
> maltedmedia, or Gmane) so that any message coming through you from
> bit.listserv.coco will be properly distributed to the other groups. Include
> the original headers & message ID if you can, so that threads don't get
> broken, and pass it through a trained spam filter first (or moderate by hand).
> 3. Here's the tricky part: Filter the duplicates that you submit so they
> don't get RE-redistributed back to bit.listserv.coco in an endless loop.
> (It only takes a few minutes to flood lists ... I'm a member of the
> Document Management list, and one day a failed duplicate filter caused a
> loop of nearly 1,400 identical messages [AND the "help!! stop this!!"
> replies] to be distributed until the moderator was able to turn it off!)
>
> I think a properly-configured gateway like that would make everybody happy.
>
> (Since I see Boisy has just unsubbed from the maltedmedia list this very
> minute, I'm sending a cc to him of this message.)
>
> Dennis

                                   _
ASCII ribbon campaign (  )
  - against HTML email  X