[Coco] bit.listserv VS. these moderated lists

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 00:42:20 EST 2005

Just thought I'd weigh in on this conversation with my 27 cents
(inflation and all)...

I think Boisy may have mentioned this, or someone else, during the
course of this conversation, but I believe the solution is to find
someone to gate the two. So long as the person gating the two made
sure that any spam is filtered out from bit.listserv.coco, and email
addresses are stripped from the mailing list going to
bit.listserv.coco, I don't think anyone would object.

I have been dying to contribute to the CoCo community, but do not know
the CoCo very well yet. I've contributed a few marginally off-topic
(or, marginally on-topic, depending on which way you look at it <G>)
posts. However, this may be something I could do to contribute if
there were no objections. The BBS package that I used to run, and have
been trying to find an excuse to set up as telnetable, supports both
mailing lists and newsgroups. I believe new posts from one to the
other requires moderator approval (which I see as a requirement for a
potential gate to prevent the spam problem from coming back) and the
ability to strip original email addresses when the posts go out to the
bit.listserv.coco group.

Dennis, would you, specifically (as moderator of the maltimedia
group), have any issues with this? Anyone else object? I think the
last thing we need is a fractured community. I see Boisy's point in
wanting to rejoin what has already been fractured, and James' point in
not wanting to fracture what we've got on this list. A properly
configured gateway seems to be the solution to both problems. Those
who want to go back can. Those who want to stay put can. With a good
gateway, both groups can be assured that their messages are reaching
the largest possible audience.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:22:23 -0600, Mannequin*
<mannslists at invigorated.org> wrote:
> Okay, let's lay the facts down on the table:
>
>  - Boisy Pitre wants to go back to bit.listserv.coco.
>  - James Dessart doesn't.
>
> Have I missed anything else here?
>
> I've just waded through about 70 posts arguing the case for and against moving
> back. It just comes down to this:
>
> If you want to go back, go back. If you don't, stay here.
>
> BUT, no matter what, we are being divided!
>
> Right now, we are divided over whether to go or stay. If people go, we will
> be divided because there are alot of people who don't want to go back.
>
> It's something to think about if the general idea behind this is community...
>
> -M.

                                   _
ASCII ribbon campaign (  )
  - against HTML email  X