[Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 21 18:18:03 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:02:09 -0500 (EST), James Dessart <james at skwirl.ca>
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>
>>     I guess one thing that everyone is overlooking is the "casual"
>> user, who may, on a lark, decide to search for old Coco stuff on the
>> web. When they want to join this list, they have to actually sign up,
>> and wait for a response. For some of the more casual people; that's
>> too much trouble, and they will just go elsewhere to look for
>> information. I know i don't often sign up to a group like this unless
>> I have a keen interest in it; some mailing lists for vintage games
>> (for all platforms) have required signups, and I have never joined
>> them, just because I was just browsing, found a link, and, when
>> prompted with login screens saying I will get an account within X
>> days, I just go (eh... nah, I'm not THAT interested).
>
> If you're not THAT interested, who says anything you contribute will be
> interesting to the people on the list? If you have a specific question,
> do
> you avoid joining a list?
>
> Waiting for a reply on a newsgroup is just as painful as waiting for a
> reply on a mailing list.

    On the last part, I agree (though there seems to be a lot of quick
replies today... (grin))... I am just stating that a lot of people take
the least path of resistance; and having to sign up and wait for a reply
to see if are accepted or not is something some people just avoid. On the
other hand, I don't want tons of SPAM either...