[Coco] MM/1 and friends (was: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 13:44:13 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/18/05 1:24:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zmerch at 30below.com writes:

>Always wanted one of those, but couldn't ever justify the  price...

Yeah, the MM/1 ran around $900.  But I got a slightly better deal,  since I
knew the developers and they wanted to get UltiMusE ported to it, so  they
loaned me a free prototype for a year before I had to buy my own (still  have it,
still run it).  And yes, I delivered the UME port, works great  :-)

>>One or two entrepreneurs in the Coco world did market an  upgrade from the
>>underpowered 68070 -- it used a 68306 or something  like that.
>
>Motorola Dragonball...

And then there was the AT306, a totally different "Coco4" that would have
run OSK, but it used PC motherboards and had to use PC peripheral cards, with
all the pros and cons thereof.  It never got a workable graphics OS and  pretty
much died on the vine.

As many as 100 or 150 MM/1 units may have been sold.  About 3 or 4 are  still
known on this List.

>This  is why I'd wondered why nobody ever (and something I wouldn't have
>minded doing, except that I'm not smart enough) ported OSK to the Palm
>platform... I'd bet it would just *rock* on my Sony Clie  NR70.

Geez!  You mean the Palm processors (like in my little Pilot IIc) are  based
on 68K architecture?  So the 68K isn't dead after all?

>But  this is getting *way* off-topic... ;-)

Not really -- any discussion of the MM/1 or other "Coco4" boxes, and
possible ports of OS9 or the like, is fair game for this group.  --Mike  K.