[Coco] SDCC and other C topics

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Thu Mar 17 14:46:39 EST 2005

On 17-Mar-05, at 11:49 AM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> I think a project of this type should be put on a critical track and
> given some priority.  If you don't have enough cycles to spare to
> really "git 'r done" then I would rather see that someone else who can
> devote more time gets to work on it.

The thing is, if we wait for someone like that to step up to the plate,
we may never get anything done. But if I'm tinkering on it from time to
time, that doesn't stop someone else from going and doing it too, and
doing it better.

I tend to over-engineer things as well, spending too much time thinking
about projects. I'm perfectly comfortable puttering around on sdcc on
my own schedule, then having someone else come in and finish it right
off, making all my work obsolete. That's the great thing about open
source, if someone is lagging at doing it, someone else can just come
and do it faster.

I'm perfectly comfortable having my work supplanted by an
implementation someone else did faster. I've been on enough cancelled
projects at work that I'm desensitized to writing code that ends up
dead in a drawer somewhere. :)

James