[Coco] SDCC and other C topics

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Mar 17 11:49:30 EST 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 9:51 AM, James Dessart wrote:

> What exactly needs to be done? I've looked at it, and I might be able
> spare some time in April, or to procrastinate while trying to rewrite a
> paper I have to present on the 1st. :)

I think a project of this type should be put on a critical track and
given some priority.  If you don't have enough cycles to spare to
really "git 'r done" then I would rather see that someone else who can
devote more time gets to work on it.

> I know 6809 assembly well enough to pull it off, but I'm wondering
> about
> how to decide when to use pcr addressing. I guess if the address isn't
> constant, then it should be pcr... What do you think? We'd want it to
> be
> relocatable, or at least to have the option.

Start small.  Just GET the thing generating some semblance of 6809
assembly code.  It doesn' t have to get fancy with the instructions,
just some basic "do this, do that, use A, use X".  The basics are
already in the hc08 back-end.  They use an H register, I believe, or
some variant.  It wouldn't take a lot to bring that in line with the
6809.  I don't care of it's PC relative or not.  Just GET the thing
generating 6809 assembly code for any given C input, no matter how
inefficient that code might be.

> Yeah, I've taken a look at it. Reimplementing (or implementing at least
> once) the system calls would be relatively easy, and I think we could
> probably leave it at level 1 for the use of the C compiler. So it just
> needs a more complete level 1 implementation.

That's right.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com