[Coco] C compiler source code

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Mar 16 09:19:53 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:00:55PM -0600, Mannequin* wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:40:41 -0800
> <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Vaugn Cato is still alive and well -- I haven't chatted with him in
> > awhile, but I see him online regularly.  (He worked for a company that
> > did some motion capture stuff for Lort of the Rings!)  He may still
> > have this stuff archived somewhere.
>
> Might you ask him if he still has the source stashed somewhere? ;)

No such luck...reply from Vaughn below...

-----------------------------

Hi John,
 Yep.  That is me.  Unfortunately, I can't find the source.  I don't
know why I didn't release it with source originally!  I know that I gave
the source to a few people in the past, but I can't remember who.  It
has been a long time.  There doesn't seem to be a good ftp search
engine.  Looks like archie has been dead for a while now.  I found the
ansifront binaries after looking around for a while, but using Google on
ansifront doesn't turn up anything.  It would have been nice to have, I
guess I just never got it moved over when I started using Linux!
 The CoCo days were lots of fun.  Lots of good memories.

  Take care,
 - Vaughn

John W. Linville wrote:

>Vaughn,
>
>I'm hoping you are the person who many years ago wrote a CoCo OS-9
>utility called ANSIFront, whose job it was to filter ANSI-compliant
>C code into K&R C code for older compilers, particularly the CoCo
>OS-9 compiler.  Is that you?
>
>If so, is there any chance that a) you still have the source to
>ANSIFront; and b) you would be willing to release it?  There is still
>some interest in using/improving it in the CoCo OS-9 community.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

FWIW, I think that some versions of the GNU binutils used to have
a program which job was similar to ansifront.  But, that has either
been removed or I'm just not seeing it...and it may have been to go
from K&R to ANSI instead of the other way around...oh, well... :-)

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com