[Coco] C compiler source code

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 02:16:49 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 21:56 -0500, James Dessart wrote:
> On 12-Mar-05, at 1:11 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
> > One way or another, the OS-9 C compiler is in 6809 ML, so you're going
> > to have to emulate. Seems like a reasonably short project to add a MESS
> > feature such that you can pass an OS-9 command line through the MESS
> > command line.
> >
> > The only unknown for me, I think, is having MESS bring up the emulated
> > machine at the OS-9 prompt rather than going through the whole boot
> > process (booting would be slow). Can MESS do this?
>
> The answer is here:
>
> http://www.roug.org/soren/6809/

Link is no workey.

> This emulates the 6809 and OS-9 Level 1. It seems pretty trivial to
> bring support up to Level 2, or even NitrOS-9, since it only offers a
> thin abstraction layer over the host system. I've been able to compile
> it on my Mac, and it runs quite nicely, except for some gotchas here
> and there. Mainly Level 2 calls that aren't implemented.
>
> The system is well thought out, and easy to extend (if you do the C++
> thing).

I guess my point was, why use a one-off emulator for  OS-9 + Level 1
when you can run NitrOS-9 under MESS? MESS has the wider audience, so
presumably it will get more dev attention, have less bugs, etc.

I think if you can expose a shell prompt through a virtual serial port,
that would get you access to the OS-9 shell.

The only other thing is bringing up the OS-9 "ram image" up in the
middle of the session rather than going through virtual boot-up.

-- John.