[Coco] EPROM burner

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Mar 10 23:51:56 EST 2005

Rumor has it that billg may have mentioned these words:

>Does anyone still have an EPROM burner

Yes - 3 of 'em. Granted, I can only find one, and that's not the one with
the integrated eraser... :-( Sell one, tho? Hrm, sorry. ePay may be the
answer there.

>  and blank chips

Which ones? The newer 27xxx series (28-pin) are still pretty easy to find,
thru the likes of jameco, BG Micro, Mouser, etc. The *older* chips, say the
Motorola 6876x series (24-pin, 8Kbyte) -- those are darned tough to find...
well... unless you're me. ;-)

I purchased 20 *pounds* of 'em *way back when* and I have many available
for -- pretty cheap if you want a few... one small problem, tho:

These chips were used extensively for the Panasonic HHC handheld computers
in the Insurance Industry (Think about the size of the Tandy PC1 or 2) --
and they had a special carrier that the chip legs were bent around. You
would need to carefully unbend the legs and extricate them from the chip
carrier to be used in a disk controller. It can be done - I did it with a
couple of my controllers way back when, but I'm not willing to do it for
others without a substantial fee - as it can be rather labor-intensive. ;-)

If you've ever seen an upgrade ROM for a Tandy 10x/200 laptop, it's pretty
much the same thing except 24-pin. The sockets themselves would be *most
excellent* for testing purposes if they weren't made of unobtanium.

>  they would be willing
>to sell.  I'd EXPECT to pay for them, of course, since they are a
>'specialty item'.

My pricing structure is kinda weird - most often, people expect the price
to go down as quantity goes up -- not me. If you want 3-6 of 'em, my price
is a couple-o-bucks and shipping. (You cover the postman, I cover the
padded mailers) - This is my "hobbyist price." Trades are considered as
well. However, if you want a boatload of 'em - the price goes up as you
quite probably have a "lucrative market" for them, and if you're gonna
profit - so am I. ;-)

>cut down on Pepsi colas,

Quit drinkin' the Dew years ago - my body and wallet have been thanking me
ever since.

>  and lay off the hot fudge sundaes)

Why wouldja wanna do that??? Now you axed out 2 of the 3 most important
food groups! :-))

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson