[Coco] Re: CoCo needs?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Mar 9 18:41:38 EST 2005

Roger

Correct on the side select problem. That is the default issue with the
1793/1773/2973 chips. These controllers are designed for single
side drives. The 1795/1797/2795/2797 all will handle double sided
drives. The 1793/2783 sacrific double sided drives for internal clock
divide. I have seen designs where the 2797 is used and the clock
divide circuit is external so that HD format can be used. This will
allow double sided drives and HD format together.

With the 2793 some means of external side select will have to
done. Currently RSDOS treats the second side of a double sided
drive as another drive. OS9 does a work around with the sacrifice of
not being able to access four physical drives.

james