[Coco] CoCo needs?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Mar 8 23:39:52 EST 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 9:06 PM, James Dessart wrote:

> On 8-Mar-05, at 9:21 PM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Tremendous things have been done with the existing C system -- should
>> we be
>> wasting the best talent trying to forge slightly better tools,
>> instead of
>> working on apps?  ISTR this argument being raised 10 and 15 years
>> ago.
>>
>> Sorry if this sounds argumentative, but I'm confused here.  Remind me
>>  why we
>> need another C compiler.  Thanks, Mike K.
>
> Because no one who can program in C, in their spare time, is likely to
> use OS-9 hosted development tools. While handy in its time, it does
> not provide a convenient venue for software development, due to a
> probably large number of limitations. Limited editor screen size, the
> inconvenience of switching back and forth if using a CoCo-external
> editor, limited memory, disk space and speed, combined with the
> inconvenience of either using a CoCo straight, or firing up an
> emulator just to write code and compile it. Add to that the fact that
> any code you might want to reuse is in ANSI C, and there are very few
> reasons to stick with an OS-9 hosted development tool.

I will admit that I have become spoiled with the cross-platform
development methodology.  I've been editing and assembling NitrOS-9
modules under Linux for about 8 years now, and it's an absolute dream
in terms of speed and productivity.  Having a C compiler to do the same
thing would be stellar.

True, we have K&R Microware C.  There are kludges to make it semi-ANSI
compliant; it does indeed generate "ok" code.  But in the end, we are
limited by either using it on a real CoCo or through an emulator.
Either way presents limitations that I think are unwieldy given today's
computers and tools.  Using a cross-hosted C compiler like SDCC also
gives us support outside of just the CoCo as well.  There are a ton of
benefits for moving to such a tool chain.

> These are the pragmatic issues which make it such that very few people
> are writing decently cool stuff. All the Cloud-9 drivers, as far as I
> know, are developed and built with a PC or Mac hosted assembler. Boisy
> or Mark correct me if I'm wrong on this. The simple fact of the matter
> is that those of us capable of writing software do not want to work
> within the limitations of a CoCo-hosted development suite, we just
> want to work within the machine's space and speed limitations when
> dealing with our code. The hard part should be the part that makes
> everyone go "wow," not just getting through editing a source code
> file.

I agree with James totally.  Yes, at Cloud-9, software development is
done on a Linux and/or Mac system.  For me, there is no going back, and
I want to bring the convenience of high level language CoCo development
to the fore with an open-source tool chain like SDCC.

Boisy