[Coco] CoCo needs?

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Tue Mar 8 22:06:55 EST 2005

On 8-Mar-05, at 9:21 PM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> Tremendous things have been done with the existing C system -- should
> we be
> wasting the best talent trying to forge slightly better tools, instead
> of
> working on apps?  ISTR this argument being raised 10 and 15 years  ago.
>
> Sorry if this sounds argumentative, but I'm confused here.  Remind me
> why we
> need another C compiler.  Thanks, Mike K.

Because no one who can program in C, in their spare time, is likely to
use OS-9 hosted development tools. While handy in its time, it does not
provide a convenient venue for software development, due to a probably
large number of limitations. Limited editor screen size, the
inconvenience of switching back and forth if using a CoCo-external
editor, limited memory, disk space and speed, combined with the
inconvenience of either using a CoCo straight, or firing up an emulator
just to write code and compile it. Add to that the fact that any code
you might want to reuse is in ANSI C, and there are very few reasons to
stick with an OS-9 hosted development tool.

These are the pragmatic issues which make it such that very few people
are writing decently cool stuff. All the Cloud-9 drivers, as far as I
know, are developed and built with a PC or Mac hosted assembler. Boisy
or Mark correct me if I'm wrong on this. The simple fact of the matter
is that those of us capable of writing software do not want to work
within the limitations of a CoCo-hosted development suite, we just want
to work within the machine's space and speed limitations when dealing
with our code. The hard part should be the part that makes everyone go
"wow," not just getting through editing a source code file.

James