[Coco] Re: CoCo needs?

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Mar 8 20:11:25 EST 2005

Rumor has it that jdaggett at gate.net may have mentioned these words:
>Torsten
>
>The WD 2793 would be the ideal chip to design a round, but it to is
>becoming rare.
>These too are drying up in the surplus market. It is software compatible
>with the
>1793 and is a single 5 volt part. It does not require the two external
>support chips
>that the 1793 uses. This would be the painless way to go.

Are they similar enough to the 1773? (Those seem to be made of pure
unobtanium... :-(  ) I can find 2793's... I yet have some totally blank
Disto Super Controllers just waiting for parts...

Also, can you change the datarate to the 2793 so you could (theoretically)
access HD floppies? AFAIK, that cannot be done with the 1773. (Not a big
deal to me per se... but it could be fun to tinker with! ;-) )

>Any other chip may require software changes that tends to obsolete many disk
>software already written. Not a good situation.

Yupper.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.