[Coco] Re: CoCo needs?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Mar 8 19:13:36 EST 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 5:25 PM, James Dessart wrote:

> On 8-Mar-05, at 4:48 PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>
>> As time allows, I am starting to adapt the sdcc (sdcc.sf.net)
>> compiler to the 6809.  There is some work to do, but starting from
>> the existing hc08 code, it isn't that much of a leap.  I'm waiting to
>> hear back from one of the guys on the project about starting an "m09"
>> support branch on the project.  If I can get approval, then I'll
>> check in what I have and development can start.
>>
>> This may or may not be the best tool chain to adapt to, but it's a
>> start.  Frankly, I'm skeptical as to who will take up the slack here.
>>  We'll see.
>
> What needs to be done? If it's just a matter of putting some already
> written "hard" stuff together, then I might be up for that. I just
> don't have time to write an entire backend.

There are similarities between the HC08 and 6809, but the back-end
would have to be changed.  Out of all of the supported processors, the
HC08 is the closest to the 6809, so it's the logical choice for
starting from.

> If it's a question of source control resources, I definitely have the
> bandwidth to set up either a Subversion or CVS repository, and work
> could go on in there. My upload bandwidth is entirely uncapped (no
> limit), but I'm stuck at 70 KB/sec, approximately. Those kinds of
> resources are easy to set up, so I'd be happy to do it.

No need.  The project is already hosted on sourceforge.

> Once we have that, there are a few good uses I'm sure I can put it to.

I'll post more when I hear from the project guy.